Thursday, April 02, 2009

Less Than Jake, Live @ The WarSuck

I roll up to the Warfield at 7:20 to pick up my tickets from will call. The tickets were 35 bucks online but 25 at the door. Thank you for screwing me yet again Ticketmaster. But I wanted to make sure I had tickets in case the show sold out because Less Than Jake is my second favorite band of all time. NOFX is number one but you can read about them in another post. No band was on stage. So while we wait for Erin, Darren and I go to The Matador to get a pre-show drink. Two $3 Vodka-RedBulls and then I’m ready to see the greatest number two band of all time. Stroll leisurely to the door of the Warfield and I hear Less Than Jake, current time 8:05. Oh shit, how can they be on already? There are three bands playing tonight. Oh well, I’m stoked to see them.

They played a variety of stuff including a few songs off their new album which I haven’t heard yet, nothing older than “Losing Streak”, which is ok because a lot of people don’t know their old stuff (but I do, because I’m that hardcore). In the middle of their set they prefaced a song with, “I’m glad this is the last show of this tour because we won’t have to play this fucking song again”. Hrm, what could that be? Why wouldn’t they want to sing one of their songs? It starts off familiar, not from one of their albums but I have heard it before. Then Chris starts singing and it’s the fucking jingle from the commercial for freecreditreport.com! Are you fucking serious!?!?!?!? Free credit report dot com (spelling it out just makes it so much worse). I wouldn’t believe it unless I heard it myself. I found a video on YouTube from the show in Hollywood. They have a recording of singing a KROQ promo, but at least that’s a music station. I feel so used, so dirty. I spent 35 bucks on your show and you guys are still sneaking advertisements into your set? I know everybody needs to make a buck but come on. Don’t you shit heads have enough money? You know, from your main job of making good records? Do you really need to whore yourself out to freecreditreport.com?

The last song they played was fitting, “Johnny Quest Thinks We’re Sell Outs”. No guys, everybody thinks you’re sell outs.

I look at the clock…8:52. Wait a minute, you played less than an hour set? I look up. Encore? No they got the fuck out of there. I had to wait around because they must come back out.

I even waited until The Expendables were a few songs into their set. Shocked and appalled. On what fucking planet does Less Than Jake open for The Expendables? The Expendables opened for John Brown’s Body (who is playing today @ the Independent) and JBB is a no name reggae band (I still love them though). And The Expendables are good for a local band. When I first saw them, my buddy bought three of their CD’s because the chick working the booth was hot and for some reason he thought he had a chance if he bought a bunch of the shit she was selling. Or he just wanted to lengthen the time to ogle her.

It was even more heart breaking that there were more people into The Expendables and there was a lot more pot smoking which makes my two and half month hiatus from the ganja even more bitter.

Less Than Jake has solidified their spot in #2.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home